English Language and Culture
The Bachelor's in English Language and Culture stimulates you to explore the rich, vibrant and diverse literary, linguistic and cultural heritages of the English-speaking world.
The World of English
From its humble beginnings as one of the languages of Britain, English has spread all over the globe and emerged as the international language of science, the media, politics, and technology. Taught exclusively in English, the UvA's Bachelor's in English Language and Culture allows you to explore and deepen your appreciation of the literature and linguistics of the English-speaking world.
As you work your way through the traditional canon and world literature in English from around the globe, you will study the origins and development of the language, diverse World Englishes like Australian, South African, Indian and Singaporean, as well as how they are perceived and represented in the literary and media worlds.
Is English Language and Culture right for you?
English Language and Culture is the ideal programme for you if:
- You want to master your spoken and written command of the English language.
- You love reading books by the likes of William Shakespeare, Charles Dickens and Jane Austen, and are passionate about the language, literature and culture of England, the United States and the rest of the English-speaking world.
- You enjoy writing, whether it’s an article for your school newspaper, a review of your favourite book or poem, a paper about the structure and development of the language, or your very own story.
- You have a qualified pre-university diploma.
- You can demonstrate a solid command of the English language.
Why study English Language and Culture at the UvA?
English Language and Culture at the University of Amsterdam offers you:
- A world-class education: the programme is ranked highest in Continental Europe and 46th overall in the QS World University Rankings 2017.
- The chance to study in Amsterdam, a European hub with its own rich historical and cultural heritage, and a large professional and social English-speaking community.
- A stand-alone programme focused on English language and culture from start to finish.
- A uniquely broad and diverse range of courses within both the fields of literature and linguistics.
- An intimate academic setting with small class sizes, and plenty of time to interact with your professors and peers.
- After completing your Bachelor's, you can apply to one of the UvA's many Master's programmes.
English Language and Culture is an accredited degree programme. After completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited Bachelor's degree in English Language and Culture and the title Bachelor of Arts (BA).
- BA English Language and Culture
- Regulier onderwijs
- Voltijd, deeltijd
- 180 EC, 36 maanden