European Policy (European Studies)
This European Studies Master's offers a unique combination of humanities and social sciences approaches to understanding and analysing the ways in which the European Union is governed and how EU policy is addressing the challenges contemporary Europe is facing.
Theoretical insights and practical solutions
Are you interested in shaping EU and national policy? Would you like to pursue a career in European or international institutions? This Master's programme teaches you to translate theoretical insights into practical policy solutions. It combines both theoretical and hands-on, empirical training in order to prepare you for a career as a European policy expert within international and national institutions, but also within the broader context of NGOs and the business world.
Hands-on field experience
Taught by experts from the fields of Humanities, Anthropology, Economics, Geography, Law and Political Science, this programme combines lecture courses with small group seminars and offers a unique Humanities perspective on the diverse ideas and identities that contribute to shaping EU policy. It is strongly focused on hands-on field experience, including workshops in Brussels as well as an extended field course that examines the ways in which EU policies ‘touch down’ in different national and regional contexts.
European Studies at the UvA
The European Policy programme offers you:
- A unique combination of political science, law, history, anthropology, philosophy and geography;
- The opportunity to look beyond the political confines of the EU, relating the complexity of European governance to its cultural and historical context;
- The chance to visit EU institutions and engage with policymakers, think-tanks and officials, helping to establish professional networks;
- Training in analytical and communication skills that are essential in a professional research and policy environment, both at home and abroad;
- A world-class education: the UvA is ranked highest in the Netherlands and around 60th overall in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings;
- Amsterdam as a vibrant and creative European hub with a diverse, international community;
- Individual coaches that provide assistance throughout the programme and advice regarding personal, study related and career matters.
European Policy is an accredited degree programme of European Studies. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited Master’s degree in European Studies and the title Master of Arts (MA).
Want to know more?
Reread all of the information at your own convenience in our factsheet.
- MA European Studies
- 60 EC, 12 maanden